RE: CR Feedback and Implementation

Michael,

the implementation problem (a) is not too much of a concern for me (even
though this is currently a bug in the beta 3.5 version of our XML Spy
software ;)

I'm much more concerned about (b), because in [1] we say "All such members
must have type definitions which are either the same as the head's type
definition or restrictions or extensions of it." and consequently a cyclic
substitution group requires all substitution group members that participate
in forming the cycle to have type definitions that are exactly the same.

As this entirely defies the whole purpose of a substitution group, I believe
that there is not much practical use for circular substitution groups and,
therefore, it would be preferable to explicitly disallow them in the frist
place, which would then allow schema tool vendors the option of alerting a
user to any inadvertedly formed cyclic substitution group and thereby
provide better feedback to schema authors.

This is also based on feedback we received during the beta testing of XML
Spy 3.5, where a couple of people reported enless loops as a result of
accidentially forming a circular substitution group and they have been very
happy, when our support staff pointed out the problem to them, because they
didn't want to build a cyclic group at all.

Anyway, perhaps the best way is to indeed request feedback from everyone on
this list, whether or not they know of any real use for circular
substitution groups.

Alexander

... Alexander Falk
... President, CEO
... Altova, Inc. - The XML Spy Company

XML Spy 3.0  -  the first true Integrated Development Environment for XML
Visit http://www.xmlspy.com/ to download a free 30-day evaluation version

[1]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-xmlschema-1-20001024/#Element_Substitution_Grou