XML Namespaces to include xml:base functionality

[W3C Members, note well: this message is copied to
www-xml-infoset-comments,
a public forum. So if just "reply all" your message will be publicly
readable.
Feel free to delete from the cc: line before you send your reply.

Other folks: some references are to member-confidential materials.
Sorry.]

Linking WG folks,

"Issue (xmlbase:namespaces-compatibility): Should
                   Namespaces be extended to take xml:base attributes
into
                   account?"
	-- http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WD-xmlbase-19991220

The XML Core WG decided, on 5 Jan, that yes they should:
"Resolved:  that xml:base affects relative namespace names
in namespace declarations.

[...]

ACTION to Dan to send email to XLink WG cc-ing XML Core WG and Infoset
comment mailing lists about this.

DECISION: we will also add xml:base to Infoset.

DECISION: we will add Namespaces 1.1 to our task list and
add a discussion xml:base to it.

ACTION to Paul: add this to our task list (done).

NOTE:  This will also require a change to XSLT."

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-xml-core-wg/2000JanMar/0020.html

For background, including an example that will (hopefully) clarify
the issue to yourselves and, if you/we put it in the XBase/Namespaces
spec,
to our readers, please see the thread starting with:

if we do XBase, do it for xmlns too
From: Dan Connolly (connolly@w3.org)
Date: Tue, Jan 04 2000
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-xml-core-wg/2000JanMar/0002.html

Note also the dissenting opinion:

Reasons for not incorporating xbase into the namespace spec (Tue, Jan 04
2000)
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-xml-core-wg/2000JanMar/0009.html

--
Dan Connolly