W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-xkms@w3.org > February 2004

Changes: will make Soap/1.2 required, Soap/1.1 recommended

From: Jose Kahan <jose.kahan@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 18:52:13 +0100
To: www-xkms@w3.org
Message-ID: <20040211175213.GD953@inrialpes.fr>

Hello everyone,

We'd been talking about this Soap/1.2 vs Soap/1.1 during some time
now. As we needed to make a decision, I talked with Shivaram and
we decided that, unless someone objects up to tomorrow
evening (Thu 12 Feb), we'll make the following changes:

- Make Soap/1.2 required and Soap/1.2 recommended in part 1
- Change the exit criteria [9] so that we only consider Soap/1.2
- Have a reasonable CR period to allow existing implementations
  to make this change (see my following message).

The motivations for this changes are the following:

- The XKMS WG requirements document [1] states that Soap/1.2 should become
  required once Soap/1.2 achieves CR:
   XKMS services MUST implement SOAP 1.2 once that specification 
   has achieved Candidate Recommendation status.
  Soap/1.2 became a W3C recommendation on June 2003 [2].

- The XMLP expressed the above in their last call comments and this
  was accepted by the WG and the change was done [3]. However, 
  the change only mentioned part II and a section that needed to 
  be changed in part I didn't happen at the time [4,5].
   --> this is the problem behind this discussion thread.

- The XMLP sent us some pointers to Soap 1.2 toolkits [6,7]. 
  Some of these are free and they exist for Java, Perl, C/C++.
  --> this only proves that the change can be done and that they
      are available toolkits and production tools using Soap/1.2. 
      It doesn't assume that the current XKMS developers are 
      using those toolkits.

- No one has raised any objections (technical or otherwise) in the
  mailing list. I had once again requested feedback last Friday [8],
  but there was no answer. 

Again, if someone has an objection to us making this change, please
reply ASAP to the list, at latest on Thu evening. It has to be tomorrow
because otherwise, we'll proceed and hold a meeting to move to CR on 
Friday (next window would be until March, one month from now). We
can delay the meeting, but we can't come back on its decisions easily.
So please send feedback if you have an objection.



[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xkms2-req
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-part1/
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xkms/2003Aug/0019.html
[4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xkms/2004Jan/0016.html
[5] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xkms/2004Feb/0000.html
[6] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xkms/2004Feb/0016.html
[7] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xkms/2004Feb/0016.html
[8] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xkms/2004Feb/0011.html
[9] http://www.w3.org/2001/XKMS/rqim.html
Received on Wednesday, 11 February 2004 12:52:41 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 20:31:42 UTC