Fwd: Re: DAML-S ProcessModel

Forwarded message 1

  • From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@isr.umd.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 06:08:17 -0400
  • Subject: Re: DAML-S ProcessModel
  • To: agarwal@aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de
From: Sudhir Agarwal <agarwal@aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de>
>Subject: DAML-S ProcessModel
>To: www-ws@w3.org
>

>Dear all,
>
>i currently can not understand the purpose of the
ProcessModel completely. I
>understand why an AtomicProcess is needed. But, why does
ComplexProcess
>exist?

To support choreography, composition, simulation, verification
and similar activities.

> Isn't it enough to have only AtomicProcess?

Nope.

>Why should a web service
>provider show how his services works?

Because I, the client, might have need to coordinate with
different phases of some one of his services. For example, if
some step of the service requires feedback, authorization,
etc. from me, I might want to know when to look for such
requests. If it involves transfer of money, I may have fairly
complex arrangements to make for this.

Also, the APs need not be all from the same provider. In our
planning work, we use composite processes as receipes for
putting together a sequence of APs from (possibly) different
providers.

Indeed, with automated compositoin, the complex service might
not *exist* until a specific request is made.

> On the other hand, im not sure that a
>web service requester is interested in knowing all that
(if-then-else, while,
>split, fork etc.) stuff as long as the service does what he
wants.

Also good for ad hoc programming. Also good for running the
Composite process either on the client (remember, all the APs
are already exposed on the web) or the server (but I may want
to monitor progress to facilitate recovery) or distributedly.

> Even if
>someone really wants to know that, what can he do with that
knowledge? Does
>it help him in any way?

See above for some suggestions :)

>could someone help me?

Don't know. This is my attempt, see if it works for you :)

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.