RE: Decouple SOAP Version from SOAP Binding ?

> ... the concept of SOAP module does not exist in SOAP 1.1

May be, again may be, it does. I have an example, read on.

Web Services Security: SOAP Message Security 1.0 - "This specification
proposes a standard set of SOAP [SOAP11, SOAP12] extensions that can be used
when building secure Web services to implement message content integrity and
confidentiality. This specification refers to this set of extensions and
modules as the Web Services Security: SOAP Message Security or WSS: SOAP
Message Security." [1]

So, the WSS module can be used for both SOAP 11 and 12:

<wsoap:module

uri="http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2004/01/oasis-200401-wss-wssecurity-sece
xt-1.0.xsd"
 requried="true"/>

Module is a concept. The term SOAP module does not exist in SOAP 1.1
technical draft. It is possible to back port it. I am not suggesting that
someone should :-)

Web Services Security and SOAP 11 combination is a good example for
migrating from WSDL 1.1 to WSDL 2.0 markup.

Flip side, we can always rule out wsoap:module for SOAP 1.1, by establishing
another co-occurrence constraint,

// SOAP 1.1 Binding
If binding/@wsoap:version == http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/
  // Constraint B
  wsoap:module elements must be absent

BTW, similar reasoning should also apply for
 @http:version=1.0 in conjunction with @http:transfer-coding.

[1]
http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2004/01/oasis-200401-wss-soap-message-securit
y-1.0.pdf