RE: Action Item 2004-07-01 Solution to 168/R114

Err, WSDL doesn't describe the semantics of the messages, does it? Do we
actually HAVE any langauges that can describe the semantics of messages?

> I'm sure I don't need to tell you how
> interoperability is detrimentally affected by a lack of
> self-description.

I don't understand. I, as a service, accept a given set of messages.
When messages that are in that set arrive, I process them and maybe send
other messages. When messages outside the set arrive, I do nothing ( or
generate some kind of fault, perhaps ). I describe in my WSDL what
messages I accept. And what messages I emit. I can recognise which
message is which by inspection. Does that make my messages
self-describing? To who?

> > I'm not pretending there is no operation.
>
> Sorry, I didn't mean to address that comment to you specifically,
> Gudge; I don't know what you believe in this respect.  But there are
> others here who do believe that.

Actually, I'm with Jim Webber. I think that for some classes of service,
operation is largely illusory, being just a WSDL level construct for
grouping together messages in an exchange. I'm also happy that there are
services for whom there is a strong relationship between the operation
name and some XML element in the input message. I just want to be able
to describe both kinds of services ( and others ) with WSDL.

Gudge