RE: Optional Extensions

> As David explained, the issue is true backwards
> compatibility. If someone adds in a new feature that can be
> safely ignored by old processors they need to know that old
> processors will ignore the feature. Today the specification
> doesn't provide any clear guidance on what to do with
> optional unrecognized extensions. Ideally the spec would say
> 'the default behavior is to ignore the XML element and its
> children.' If a tool wishes to override that behavior, that's
> fine. But interoperability comes from having good defaults
> and that's what we need the spec to provide.

+1.  I think all we really need to say is that extensions that are not
marked required may be safely ignored by processors.  To Prasad's point,
yes a tool might look at an extension and ask the user whether or not to
charge his credit card $50 to automatically purchase the appropriate
plug-in, or something like that.  The point is merely that such
extensions, if not marked required, should not cause any problems if
ignored.  I doubt many processors are going to dynamically extend
themselves this way, though - it's much more likely the user will
pre-install all the extensions they are interested in or able to deal
with before processing.

> BTW, let's keep in mind that if an extension is not safe to
> ignore then this is where wsdl:required comes in. We are only
> talking about extensions that the author of the WSDL had
> decided could be safely ignored without violating the
> author's intended meaning or usage of the WSDL.

+1.

--Glen