Re: Why aren't two input/output elements allowed to share the same messageReference value?

Okay.  It's an interesting scenario, but is achievable in other
fashions (place an optional feature on the input, provide a choice
content model for the output).  So I'm not convinced that the
alternative exposure of functionality is worth the cost in complexity.