From: www-ws-desc-request@w3.org [mailto:www-ws-desc-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Umit Yalcinalp
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2004 3:28 PM
To: WS Description List
Subject: 2004-02-12 Action Item: Clarification to the OperationName feature

Folks,

I was given an action item [1] to clarify the usage of OperationName feature [2], to clarify what is required and what must be specified in WSDL.

Addendum to the Proposal:

OperationName feature is a required feature for all WSDL descriptions. It is not specific to a binding since all bindings must implement this feature. Therefore, the feature is not required to be declared as shown below as it is assumed to be present in all descriptions:

<binding>
   <feature uri="http://www.w3.org/TR/wsdl20/features/operationName" required="true"/>
</binding>

Note: This syntax may change per compositor syntax proposal [3].

There may be multiple ways to implement this feature. The proposal specifies a distinct method for implementing this feature by using a soap module for SOAP bindings. When the soap module specified by [2] is used as the implementation method, its use must be declared in WSDL as follows:

<binding>
     <wsoap:module uri="http://www.w3.org/TR/wsdl20/OperationDispatchModule" required="true"/>
</binding>

Note: The original proposal did not specify a URI for the SOAP module that has been specified here.

The SOAP Action feature may also be engaged in the binding in addition to the OperationName feature as shown below:

<binding>
    <feature uri="http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap/features/action/"/>
</binding>

In this case, the OperationName feature also specifies the value of the SOAP Action property as discussed in [2].

--umit

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0076.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0082.html
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0153.html