RE: Requesting WSDL Files

Arguably HTTP is based upon the semantics of REST.  Modelling a view of the world through generic verbs performing transfer of state representations is hardly limited to http.  One could argue that WS-RF is mostly REST compliant as it uses a constrained set of verbs.

FWIW, there *always* seems to be a debate when using a generic verb set on how to get representation of the metadata.  The metadata is definitely a different resource so it needs either a new verb or URI.  I think the Semantic Web folks were debating about an MGET verb.

I like the idea of formally specifying an extension/feature/property that a service provider could put in their WSDL to say "do x to get metadata".  It has the classic bootstrap problem though.

Cheers,
Dave