Re: Requesting WSDL Files

Roger,

After a bit of asking around, I am pretty sure this exact technique is not
mandated in any specification.  However, as Sanjiva and others have
indicated, support is pretty widespread.  ?wsdl is a convention (but not a
mandate) that helps to keep the simple things simple.  Making complex
things possible might require extensions to this convention, other
conventions or new specifications.

Other products supporting this useful convention include the Java Web
Services Developer Pack[1] and Sun Java System Application Server[2].

For the Java platform in general, the JSR-109 (final release)
specification[3] has jurisdiction over WSDL publishing at service
deployment time.  It says that deployed WSDL documents MUST be published to
at least one location, where "location" means file, URL or registry.  All
application servers MUST support URL-based (or file-based) publication and
they are encouraged to support registry-based publication too.  The choice
of URL / filename is entirely left to the deployer and the spec doesn't
offer any guidelines, defaults or naming conventions in that area.  The
specification does, however, leave plenty of room for the specific
convention you asked about.

thanx,
	doug

[1] http://java.sun.com/webservices/downloads/webservicespack.html