 From: www-ws-arch-request@w3.org on behalf of Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler)
 Sent: Thu 01/07/2004 19:26
 To: www-ws-arch@w3.org
 Subject: Requesting WSDL Files

 Here's a question that is sort of WSA-like.  I guess.

 We have some experience with WS interop, but so far it's all one direction:  Web service on Windows server, clients on other platforms.  Sooner or later we will want to go the other direction.  One really nice feature of the Microsoft .Net implementation of Web services is that if you append "?WSDL" (or "?wsdl") to the URL of the Web service it will return the WSDL file.  As far as I know this is not in any spec (I could easily be wrong, of course), but it's clearly useful and I'm using it.  So the obvious questions are:

 1 - Is this indeed part of some spec that I don't know about, so one should expect it on other platforms?

 2 - If not, have other major vendors been doing this too?  Is it by any stretch becoming a de facto standard?

 3 - If so, is there any case preference on platforms that tend to be more case sensitive than Windows?