RE: Friendly amendment #2c [Re: Straw poll on "synchronous" definitions]

  -----Original Message-----
  From: www-ws-arch-request@w3.org [mailto:www-ws-arch-request@w3.org]On
Behalf Of Anne Thomas Manes
  Sent: Saturday, March 15, 2003 3:12 PM
  To: Walden Mathews; Christopher B Ferris; www-ws-arch@w3.org
  Subject: RE: Friendly amendment #2c [Re: Straw poll on "synchronous"
definitions]

  The biggest issue I have with Ugo's definition (and all the others) is
that they tie synchrony with blocking versus non-blocking. Synchronous means
"at the same time". Asynchronous means "not at the same time". Whether or
not the sender has to wait idly for a response is a separate issue.

  +1

  An interaction (one-way, two-way, or multi-way) is synchronous if the
sender and receiver must communicate at the same time (the reciever must be
available to receive the message when the sender sends it). A one-way
message is asynchronous if the sender and receiver do not need to
communicate at the same time (the message may be stored and delivered at a
later time).

  And another +1

  arkin

  Anne