RE: proposed AC018 rewording

Hao,
We tried to keep this at the level of the goals and requirements for
manageability. I think that creating a management model may be part of
ACCOMPLISHING the goals/requirements, but I don't think that its a first
class requirement. Putting a model in the goal begs the question of what
kind of model and how is it expressed, etc., and I think its too detailed
right now. We would be imposing HOW to satisfy the requirement in the
requirement.

In addition, I"m not sure we can create a standard model for instances. The
instance level stuff should be specific to instances. If we need to
express/save relationships between instances we probably need to define
that at a Web Service Architecture implementation level.  I also thing that
lifecycle control is at the architecture implementation level, not web
service instance level.

So, I disagree with 18.1.5 and 18.2.5.

Heather Kreger
Web Services Lead Architect
STSM, SWG Emerging Technology
kreger@us.ibm.com
919-543-3211 (t/l 441)  cell:919-496-9572

Hao He <Hao.He@thomson.com.au>@w3.org on 06/20/2002 10:04:55 AM

Sent by:    www-ws-arch-request@w3.org

To:    "'ECKERT,ZULAH (HP-Cupertino,ex1) '" <zulah_eckert@hp.com>,
       "''Damodaran, Suresh' '" <Suresh_Damodaran@stercomm.com>, Heather
       Kreger/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS, "'Hao.He@thomson.ocm.au '" <Hao.
       He@thomson.ocm.au>, "'adiber@att.com '" <adiber@att.com>,
       "'wsgeek2002@yahoo.com '" <wsgeek2002@yahoo.com>
cc:    "'WSA W3C Public (E-mail) '" <www-ws-arch@w3c.org>
Subject:    RE: proposed AC018 rewording

 hi, Zulah,

Good work. It reads very well.  I'd like to add some more. See comments
within:

Hao

AC018 Enables the management of web services

AC018.1 Ensures that implementations of the Web Services Architecture
are manageable.
AR018.1.1 Define a base set of standard metrics for architectural
components and their interactions accompanied by guidelines for
measurement.
AR018.1.2 Define a base set of standard management operations for Web
Services Architecture implementations. Management operations includes,
but is not limited to, support for configuration control and lifecycle
control.
AR018.1.3 Define a base set of management events to be issued by the Web
Services Architecture implementation.
AR018.1.4 Define a standard methodology for accessing management
capabilities from the Web Services Architecture implementation.
<hh>
AR018.1.5 Define a standard management model for architectural
components, their dependencies and their lifecycles.
</hh>

AC018.2 Ensures that implementations of the Web Service instances are
manageable.
<hh>
AC018.2 Ensures that Web Services instances are manageable.
</hh>
AR018.2.1 Define how a web service should expose web service specific
metrics, configuration, operations, and events.
<hh>
AR018.2.1 Define how a Web Services instance should expose Web Services
specific
metrics, configuration, operations, and events.
</hh>

AR018.2.2 Support the discovery of web service management capabilities.

AR018.2.3 Define a standard methodology for accessing management
capabilities of a Web Services instance through the Web Services
Architecture
implementation.
<hh>
AR018.1.5 Define a standard management model for Web Services instances,
their dependencies and their lifecycles.
</hh>

AC018.3 Ensure that at least the following types of management
applications are supported: Performance Monitoring, Availability,

 Here is a proposed rewording of AC018 from Heather and Zulah.

Comments?
Zulah

[...]

capabilities of a Web Service through the Web Services Architecture
implementation.

AC018.3 Ensure that at least the following types of management
applications are supported: Performance Monitoring, Availability,
Configuration, Control, and Service Level Agreements.