CORBA, specific/generic

Hi Martin,

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 10:14:20AM -0700, Martin Chapman wrote:
> Just like to point out the corba objects have both generic and specific
> interfaces. The generic interface is inherited into all
> corba objects and provides operations to discover the specific interface
> (among other things).

Right.  Like COM and IUnknown/QueryInterface.

> I'm not trying to ram corba down people throats (I have moved on
> honestly), but I wanted to highlight the architectural style.

Heh. 8-)  But since IUnknown (or equivalent - I don't remember the
CORBA equivalent) can only be used to discover the specific interface,
and not *use* the service, eventually, component-specific semantics are
required to be understood.  Does that help?

So, despite CORBA and COM having some generic methods, the larger
picture of a CORBA/COM connector is that semantics are specific to the
component.

Thanks for the feedback.  When we write this up, we should be as
specific as possible, and this should be reflected.  We could talk about
how WSDL-over-GET, or WSIL, or other uses of GET with Web services, are
used in a similar way to IUnknown/QueryInterface.