Re: Email and the Web

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 09:53:59AM +0100, Miles Sabin wrote:
> I think Edwins point here is that email (and I'd add DNS) is at least as
> ubiquitous and robust as the HTTP/hypertext web, hence that REST isn't
> the only successful model we have for internet scale architectures. DNS
> illustrates the point particularly clearly given that HTTP, the only
> widely deployed implementation of REST, rests (no pun intended) on DNS
> as one of it's essential foundations (ie. HTTP/REST can't be any more
> ubiquitous and robust than DNS).
>
> It's one thing to observe that internet scale CORBA hasn't been terribly
> successful in the past. It's quite another to claim that this implies
> that REST is the only way to go.

I've never claimed it's the only way to go.  I *have* claimed it is the
most general distributed architecture ever created, and I stand by that
claim.

But since we're talking about other systems like email, DNS, etc.. I
must point out that *all* successful systems on the Internet define
their methods a priori.