Re: Email and the Web

Mark Baker wrote,
> On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 06:16:17PM -0700, Edwin Khodabakchian wrote:
> > Mark,
> >
> > In you view is email as an application compliant with the Web
> > Architecture?
>
> No.  But email can be implemented using the architecture of the Web.
> The reverse is not the case though.

I think Edwins point here is that email (and I'd add DNS) is at least as
ubiquitous and robust as the HTTP/hypertext web, hence that REST isn't
the only successful model we have for internet scale architectures. DNS
illustrates the point particularly clearly given that HTTP, the only
widely deployed implementation of REST, rests (no pun intended) on DNS
as one of it's essential foundations (ie. HTTP/REST can't be any more
ubiquitous and robust than DNS).

It's one thing to observe that internet scale CORBA hasn't been terribly
successful in the past. It's quite another to claim that this implies
that REST is the only way to go.

Cheers,

Miles