RE: Message Expiry

Ricky,

I agree with you on all of these points.

In my opinion the message expiry serves two purposes.

For the sender this is how to process repeated delivery on its side. The
application uses the expiration time to tell the RM how long to keep
resending the message, indicating that the RM should not resend forever (the
receiver may never go back online). It also allows the RM to calculate the
most effective resend times and to prioritize delivery/resend for messages
that expire sooner than others.

This is actually not that interesting if you have one application and one
RM, but it becomes interesting when you have different type of applications
with different requirements, and also intermediaries.

For the receiver it indicates that they should reject a message that arrives
too late. The message may not be lost in space, it may simply arrive after a
significant duration. Intermediaries may queue the message, go offline, come
back online. Some intermediaries may have their way for handling resend.
Some (like SMTP) may increase the resend interval after each successful
attempt. If your e-mail server has ever been done for half a day you will
notice that some messages arrive the next day because the resend interval
becomes significantly long.

So it doesn't increase the reliability per se, but indicates to the receiver
that a message that arrives too late can be ignored, and allows the RM and
intermediaries to figure out how to best move the message around.

arkin