RE: Does RM make a qualitative difference?

This is a specious argument.  The exact same argument applies for the
creation of tcp.

And looking at things on a "per-message" basis is missing the forest for the
trees.

Let's assume that a successful web service has thousands of users and maybe
dozens of different messages that it accepts/transmits.  The chance of
failure of 1% makes a huge impact on the overall usability of the service.

A far better counter argument would be to find out whether RM would actually
solve most of the problems of reliable delivery.

However, as I've never heard conclusive rationale on the reasons why 1 in
100 of my web browser requests keep having some logo in the right spinning,
there doesn't seem to be conclusive proof against why RM wouldn't solve most
of these problems.  And the fact that empirically most times that I resubmit
my web page, it works, indicates that RM would help with a large # of at
least HTTP based delivery problems.

Cheers,
Dave