RE: Security Question

As I stated in a previous email, I agree with the general notion of avoiding
ambiguity, however I think Mark's idea of not depending on anything external
is unrealistic. Every business transaction depends on shared understandings
about the goods or services involved, the terms and conditions of sale and a
host of other things not explicitly spelled out in the network messages. Of
course, many of these are defined by centuries of commercial practice as
well as laws and regulations. However, others may vary depending on the
legal system, industry and over time.

I believe the most practical approach, which is currently happening, is for
industry consortia to establish standards for the syntax and semantics of
common transactions in their industry. By making use of these standards, it
should be possible to avoid a semantic misunderstanding (deliberate or not).
A party who claims to have reason to use semantics which are contrary to the
established standards for the relevant industry will face a very difficult
burden of proof.

Hal

elines-05.txt

So my answer would be; don't do that. 8-)