Re: owl:sameAs confusion (Ref and Guide)

Jeremy Carroll wrote:

> The HP team report that we have had difficulty working on owl:sameAs
> because different team members are working from different documents.
>
> S&AS excludes owl:sameAs from OWL DL and OWL Lite.

This looks to me like a bug. The final resolution on Issue 4.6
(EquivalentTo)

   http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/WebOnt/webont-issues.html#I4.6-EquivalentTo

states clearly that sameAs is a synonym for sameIndividualAs and says
nothing about it only being in Full. The minutes of the relevant telecon
(Nov 11) contain a suggested methodological guideline that sameAs may
typically be used in Full when the types of the subject/object are
unknown, but that's something different.

> Guide recommends not using owl:sameAs (ever), but states that it is
> synonymous with owl:sameIndividualAs, and suggests that using owl:sameAs
> between classes is in full.
> Ref is more positive about owl:sameAs.
>
> It would be helpful if the story were clearer, in particular Ref and
> Guide should say that all uses of owl:sameAs are in Full

Not true, see above.

>(personally, I
> would not mind simply dropping owl:sameAs).

The introduction of the synonym was part of a WG compromise (some
preferred sameAs instead of sameIndividualAs). I see no reason to
revisit this decision.

I propose the S&AS, Guide and Ref editors take actions to ensure their
documents are consistent with the current resolution.

Guus

> Jeremy

Tel: +31 20 444 7739/7718
E-mail: schreiber@cs.vu.nl