RE: Datatypes - help please

Ian

I have largely gone with your wording - making one editorial change, and
linking to the definition of datatype theory rather than the section
containing the definition. In-line text is below.

There is also one other point that came up in discussion with Jos which is
what change is needed in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2003Mar/att-0083/M#runningCo
nsistencyChecker

section 5.2

The current text with one addition **ed is:
[[
An OWL Lite consistency checker, when presented with a file from an OWL Lite
consistency test, must output Consistent or Unknown.

An OWL DL consistency checker, when presented with a file from an OWL DL or
OWL Lite consistency test, must output Consistent or Unknown.

An OWL Full consistency checker, when presented with a file from an OWL
Full, OWL DL or OWL Lite consistency test, must output Consistent or
Unknown.

The corresponding inconsistency tests must result in output of Inconsistent
or Unknown **, as long as the datatypes required
by the test are supported by the
datatype theory of the consistency checker**.

A complete OWL Lite consistency checker or a complete OWL DL consistency
checker should not return Unknown on the relevant consistency or
inconsistency tests.
]]

Is that addition sufficient? Or do I need it also for the consistency tests.

My text currently reads:

[[
An OWL consistency checker is
complete, with respect to
datatypes supported by its
datatype theory
[OWL Semantics and Abstract Syntax], if, given sufficient (but
finite) resources (CPU cycles and memory)
and the absence of
network errors, it will always return
either Consistent or Inconsistent;
otherwise ...
]]

<snip/>
> I suggest:
>
> 	An OWL datatype theory SHOULD minimally support at least the
> 	following XMLS datatypes: integer, string.

My text is now:

[[
The datatype theory of
an OWL consistency checker SHOULD minimally support at least
xsd:integer, xsd:string from [XML Schema Datatypes].
]]

> I would continue with the exact characterisation of the five consistency
> checkers agreed at the January f2f (text largely unchanged from current
WD).

>The last 2 (complete Lite/DL) are rather inconsistent/confusing
>w.r.t. the above definition of completeness. It would be better to
>simply say:

>       A complete OWL Lite consistency checker is an OWL Lite consistency
>       checker that is complete.

>       A complete OWL DL consistency checker is an OWL DL consistency
>       checker that is complete.

Agreed