Re: AS & S cannot be viewed/printed with Internet Explorer 6.0

On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 03:42, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
> From: herman.ter.horst@philips.com
> Subject: AS & S cannot be viewed/printed with Internet Explorer 6.0
> Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 17:08:07 +0100
>
> > The Abstract Syntax and Semantics document does not print properly
> > with IE 6.0.  On the screen as well as on paper, I get very many
> > squares where various mathematical symbols are meant.
> >
> > I can print view and print the document correctly with Mozilla,
> > so it is not a problem with fonts on my PC.
> > Several PCs in my neighborhood have the same problem.
> >
> > In particular the elementOf and union symbols do not work
> > properly.  The intersection symbol views/prints correctly.
> >
> > Can other people look whether they have the same problem?
> > It seems to be undesirable to have such a problem with the
> > last call-published version of the Semantics document.
>
> I am unwilling to make changes to the document to support a browser that
> does not work correctly unless the changes do not detract significantly
> from the document.  Removing even just the mathematical symbols explicitly
> mentioned here would be, in my view, a significant degradation.

Yes, this problem isn't in the Semantics Document; it's in IE.

"This Page Is Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict!"
--
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww-db.research.bell-labs.com%2Fuser%2Fpfps%2Fowl%2Fsemantics%2Fdirect.html%233

As a work-around, Peter, I suggest you/we publish
alternative versions of the document in postscript/PDF.
  http://www.w3.org/2001/06/manual/#formats
Sometimes, due to brokenness in HTML printing technology,
readers like to get a version formatted
for printing in a way that the editors/authors have
confirmed is right.

I did some quick experimentation, and html2ps seems to do pretty well...
the math symbols look right; the table formatting isn't too bad, and
I get links in the PDF version, even.

Anybody want to review these more closely to confirm that they
match the HTML version?

postscript:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2003Jan/att-0034/01-_sem.ps
PDF:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2003Jan/att-0034/02-_sem.pdf

derived from
http://www-db.research.bell-labs.com/user/pfps/owl/semantics/semantics-all.html
Last-Modified: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 10:50:09 GMT

using html2ps

http://packages.debian.org/stable/text/html2ps.html
http://www.tdb.uu.se/~jan/html2ps.html

and ps2pdf from gnu ghostscript