RE: Review of Guide

Thanks Jeff.  Reaction to comments below.  Most incorporated.

- Mike

----[TODO]------------------------------------------------------------------

----
> - You need a section called "Using Ontologies to Describe Data" (perhaps
> between Complex Property Axioms and Usage Examples). This section should
> point out that once an ontology is developed, you will want to describe
> data with it. It can mostly point back to the defining individuals and
> properties of individuals sections, but should have additional material
> on how ordinary documents (those without an owl:Ontology) tag import
> ontologies. i.e.:
>
> <rdf:Description rdf:about="">
>     <owl:imports rdf:resource="someURI">
> </rd:Description>

Will think about it.

----

----[DONE]------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----
> - Ontology headers, para. 3, "... the owl:Ontology tag simply identifies
> a document as containing OWL syntax.":  I disagree! In order to
> determine if a document contains OWL syntax, find out if it uses names
> from the OWL namespace. The owl:Ontology tag makes an assertion that the
> current document is an ontology. Now, this "ontology" may or may not
> have classes and properties, and may just consist of instances, but the
> author is stating that they think there is vocabulary worth reusing
> here.

You are right.  This is funny. But an owl document does not have to use
names from the OWL namespace.  I think of owl:Ontology as a statement
of intent.  Perhaps  "... the owl:Ontology tag simply identifies
a document as an OWL document."  ?

----[already
DONE]--------------------------------------------------------------

----
> - Ontology headers, para. 6-8: The various ontology versioning stuff
> would be better in a separate section. First, owl:DeprecatedClass and
> owl:DeprectaedProperty do not go in the header.

Actually, they are outside the header.  Maybe I added the closing
ontology tag post 12/18.

> Second, this is really
> advanced stuff that most people writing their first ontology won't need
> (if it's your first ontology, there shouldn't be a prior version!). I
> suggest you move this to a section titled "Ontology versioning" which
> would be between "Complex Classes" and "Usage Examples." You should be
> able to get some supporting text from Sect. 3.2 of the Requirements
> Document. I'd also be happy to contribute something if you need me to.

You are right.  I will try to get to that.

----
> - Ontology headers, para. 10, "Importing another ontology...": Add at
> end of paragraph "Note that the definition of a name can be distributed
> across many ontologies, some of which you may not agree with. With
> owl:imports you can select the ontologies whose definitions are
> appropriate for your context."

Will think about it.  Seems implicit.

----[DONE]------------------------------------------------------------------
-----

> - Simple Properties - Defining Properties, para. 3: Explain in words
> what a
> domain and range are.

Implicit in following paragraph.

----[DONE
~]-------------------------------------------------------------------

> - hasValue, "... an individual will be a member of such a class whenever
> at least one of its property values is equal to the hasValue resource":
> This is confusing. First, it is not clear that "such a class" means the
> anonymous class in the restrciton and not the class that the restriction
> is applied to. It may be useful to add a clarification (perhaps at the
> beginning of Property Restrictions, since it applies to all) that says
> "A Restriction is used in combination with subClassOf or sameClassAs.
> When used with subClassOf it says that restriction provides a necessary
> but not sufficient condition but class membership. When used with
> sameClassAs, then it provides both necessary and sufficient conditions.

Added forward ref in restriction section to sameClassAs.

----[DONE]------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----
> Minor comments:

---[Deleted ref to other
syntax]------------------------------------------------

----
> - Namespaces, para. 2, "The default namespace ... unprefixed elements
> and empty URI references refer to the current ontology": I don't believe
> that namespaces say anything about empty URI references. XML says they
> are relative to the current document.

In XML they do.  If my namespace declarations include

    xmlns="http://www.example.org/wine#"

Then <Wine> expands to <http://www.example.org/wine#wine>.

----
> - Ontology headers, para. 2: Add that if a URN is used to identify an
> ontology some name resolution would be needed in order to locate and
> access the ontology.

Implicit in URN use.

----[DONE]------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----
> - Ontology headers, para. 5, "<rdfs:comment> provides the obvious needed
> capability to annotate an ontology": obvious => obviously

Adj vs adv.  obvious, needed vs obvious needed.

----[DONE]------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----[Already
done]----------------------------------------------------------------

----
> - Design for Use, bullets: The "levels of representation" and "subclass
> vs. instance" descriptions seem are confusing.

Will reread

----[DONE]------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----[DONE]------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----[DONE]------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----[DONE]------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----[DONE]------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----[DONE]------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----
> - Properties and Datatypes
>
> <xsd:schema xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
>        xmlns="http://www.example.org/wine-dt.xsd">
>
>   <xsd:simpleType name="year">
>     <!-- year is an XMLS datatype based on integer -->
>     <xsd:restriction base="xsd:integer"/>
>   </xsd:simpleType>
>
>   <xsd:simpleType name="wineYear">
>     <!-- wineYear is an XMLS datatype based on year -->
>     <!-- with the added restriction that values must be GEQ 1700 -->
>     <xsd:restriction base="year">
>     <xsd:minInclusive value="1700"/>
>   </xsd:restriction>
>   </xsd:simpleType>
> </xsd:schema>
>
> Indent is incorrect with the </xsd:restriction> part.

Going to undergo radical change anyway.

----[DONE]------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----[DONE]------------------------------------------------------------------
----

----
> - Functional Property: mention that FunctionalProperty is equivalent to
> maxCardinality = 1 when used a restriction on owl:Thing

Huh.

----[ALREADY]---------------------------------------------------------------
-----

----[DONE