Re: syntax task force - differences between the two approaches

At 17:22 +0000 2/27/03, Ian Horrocks wrote:
>On February 26, Jim Hendler writes:
>>  At 10:11 -0500 2/26/03, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>>  >Here is my summary of the differences between the two approaches.  I may be
>>  >missing some differences.
>>  >
>>  >peter
>>
>>  A couple of comments on a few of these:
>>
>>  >
>>  >
>>  >Substantive Differences in Abstract Syntax
>>  >
>>  >
>>  >
>>  >Jeremy - can name data valued oneOfs
>>  >S&AS   - can't name data valued oneOfs
>>
>>  IMHO this could be a valuable construct - for example the reference
>>  manual has an example of the list of "0 15 30 40" which is the
>>  possible numeric tennis scores.  Being able to name that list would
>>  be valuable in a system reasoning about sports statistics (which is
>>  one of the actual use cases in my research group - we're doing
>>  client-side presentation of sports information based on various
>>  ontologies of sport).
>
>Naming it seems like a bad idea. It would effectively introduce an
>OWL mechanism for defining datatypes, whereas we are supposed to be
>relying on XMLS for that.

Ian - not the same - this is a specific subset in which case all
members are explicitely mentioned -- this is doable in the xsd:
world, and we have an easy place to put it.  It is not the same as
being able to say "a real number greater than 15"  which could never
be said in this form.  Also, the datatype reasoning is easy in this
case because it is a closed and enumerated list, so the cardinality
issues are solvable.
  so it seems a valuable feature, adds a small amount of something we
wish we could provide, and doesn't cause serious problems to DL
reasoners.