RE: DTTF: another summary

Sorry I'm slow to reply.  Was out of town last week.

Jeremy stated:

> A monotonic layering would be one in which
>
> if
>   a rdfs-entails b
> then
>   a owl-entails b
>
> and both rdfs-entails and owl-entails are monotonic.
> This is Mike's SEMANTIC PROPERTY 1.

I don't think of this as SEMANTIC PROPERTY 1, since the whole point of
properties 1-4 was to discuss T and TINV and their impact on semantics.

> I drop Mike's T and TINV by noting that we have agreed
> that the syntax for OWL is RDF graphs which is also the
> syntax for RDFS.

The log of the F2F notes that

  o  that there is a presentation syntax and an underlying syntax and a
transform
  o  some form of presentation syntax is requirement
  o  RDF is underlying syntax

I guess I am not clear on what was meant by the last item.  (My excuse
is that I was not able to attend the F2F.) I took that to mean that we
could translate OWL syntax to RDF syntax.  I did not take it to mean
that it is a requirement that all RDF be stateable in OWL (which is a
corollary to Jeremy's monotonic layering above).  This assumption had
a variety of reasons, including the semantic issues that Peter and Pat
have presented, weird RDF lists, and some messages that talked about
translating OWL to RDF.

So, what did the resolution at the F2F mean?  In particular:

1. Did it mean that it is a requirement that all RDF statements are
statements in OWL?  And therefore have to be given an interpretation in
OWL?  I'm having trouble reading that into the resolution, but perhaps
it was part of the discussion.  If so, yikes.

2. Did it mean that RDF must be the 'abstract' syntax that the OWL formal
semantics embraces?

Surely not.  I am pretty sure that whoever formalizes the semantics
does not want to have to define part of it in terms of
Subject-Predicate-Object RDF structures, which (in the absence of
RDF:DARK) would seem to be a requirement if all OWL is to be
expressible in RDF.

If RDF is not the selected abstract syntax for OWL, then T and TINV are
worth discussing.  Per

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Apr/0200.html

- Mike

Michael K. Smith