Re: LANG: UML as reference point (was: LANG: frame paradigm)

At 10:38 PM +0100 3/26/02, Frank van Harmelen wrote:
>Guus Schreiber wrote:
>
>>  I think we should consider the UML class model also as background
>>  reference.
>
>Below an indication of how RDF Schema, OWL Light and Full OWL score on
>these.
>
>I'm using [1] for OWL Light and Full OWL, not taking into account
>the proposed changes since then.
>I'm also assuming semantic containment between RDF Schema and OWL Light
>(and of course between OWL Light and Full OWL).
>
>- subclass relation
>   already in RDF Schema
>- disjointness,
>   in OWL Light
>- completeness (through constraints)
>   only in Full OWL
>- attributes (datatype properties) and relations (object properties)
>   in OWL Light
>- cardinality constraints for attributes and relations
>   in OWL Light for n=1
>   only in Full OWL for arbitrary n
>- default values for attributes
>   Not even in Full OWL

I think the term "default" is used differently here - in UML the
defaults can be, essentially, monotonic, in the sense that it is a
default that a female mammal lactates to feed its young (this is
definitional, no exceptions in the natural world)  --  using the
notion of default as "All of them have this value so it doesn't have
to be specified on each"
    in Full OWL
    in OWL Light (I think - not 100% sure)

>- class-scoped attributes (same for every member of class)
>   in OWL Light
>- part-whole relations between classes (strong=composition,weak=agrregation)
>   Not even in Full OWL

not built in - but it is clear that even in RDFS one can define
part-whole properties - they just don't have special meaning.

>- abstract vs. concrete class, root and leaf class
>   Not even in Full OWL
>- tagging through stereotypes and tags
>   Unsure what this means (FvH)
>
>Question: is any of the above reason for satisfaction? concern?
>
>Frank.
>    ----
>
>[1] http://www.cs.vu.nl/~frankh/spool/OWL-first-proposal/

AV Williams Building, Univ of Maryland		  College Park, MD 20742