Re: Moving forward

I'm not sure what you mean by ``damage''.

One way to go would be to
1/ ask for ``unasserted'' stuff in RDF
2/ place restrictions on the form of the DAML+OIL constructs
This *might* result in a viable solution, depending on how much of a change
is made to RDF.  The change to DAML+OIL here would be
1/ the syntax
2/ the model theory

Another way to go would be to
1/ use a syntax extension
This *would* result in a viable solution.
The change to DAML+OIL here would be
1/ the syntax
2/ the model theory

A third way to go would be to
1/ give up on a theory of classes
This *would* result in a viable solution.  The change to DAML+OIL would be
very small, formally, but, informally
2/ the role of classes would change

A fourth way to go would be to
1/ use a different semantic relationship for inference
This *might* result in a viable solution.  The change to DAML+OIL would be
1/ how information is extracted from DAML+OIL KBs

There are other ways to go that I can imagine, and probably others that I
haven't considered.

Which of the above qualifies as the least ``damage''?  This depends almost
entirely on your view of what is important.

peter

PS:  ``*would*'' above indicates that I am quite sure that a reasonable
solution exists.  ``*might*'' above indicates that I am not convinced that
a reasonable solution exists.