RE: LANG: first sketch

On March 7, Smith, Michael K writes:
> Ian and Frank,
>
> Great document.
>
> Two comments.
>
> 1. Negation and disjunction considered hard?

Of course such things are open to debate. They are not there in
standard frames.

> I would place these in the class "easy to understand by our target
> group".  Is your categorization due to complexity for tool
> builders/reasoners?
>
> 2. Syntax (nag, nag, nag)

I don't agree (even if in practice we will need to specify the
semantics sooner rather than later). The standard for academic papers
on logics and logical languages is to use some sort of "abstract"
syntax (c.f. the DL "German" syntax). Specifying a "practical"
serialisation comes later if and when someone decides to implement.

So the idea is that we specify the language using some sort of
"abstract" (and hopefully more compact) syntax, then define mappings
from that into various "serialisations" (RDF, XML etc.).

Ian