Re: TEST: Re: notes for 6/6 until 1:10 (oneOf/sameClassAs)

On Fri, 2002-06-07 at 17:39, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
> From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
> Subject: Re: TEST: Re: notes for 6/6 until 1:10 (oneOf/sameClassAs)
> Date: 07 Jun 2002 16:56:42 -0500
>

> > On Fri, 2002-06-07 at 16:46, Jos De_Roo wrote:
> > [...]
> > >
> > > All I remember for the moment is "Clause Normal Form"
> > > and indeed no existentials in the conclusions
> > > but functional terms could be there I think...
> >
> > Functional terms and existentials buy you the
> > same power/grief.
> >
> > For OWL 1.0, I (presently) think we should stop
> > short of that sort of thing.
> >

> Stop short of what?  Functional terms?  Has anyone proposed functional
> terms?

er... Jos mentioned them...
> > > but functional terms could be there I think...

>  Existentials?  RDF has a form of existential.  Are you proposing
> that OWL not include blank nodes?

No, I'm proposing that, when OWL semantics are
expressed as N3 rules
or FOL axioms, which usually look like
  (forall (?x ?y ?z) (if PREMISE CONCLUSION))
that the conclusion shouldn't have any
functional terms nor existentially quantified
variables.

i.e. there are no axioms that conclude "there exists...".