Re: Issue 4.1 UniqueProperty is a bad name

On Thu, 2002-06-06 at 12:31, Frank van Harmelen wrote:

> I propose to close this issue by renaming this language element
> as HasOnlyOne,
> as first proposed by Pat Hayes in http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Apr/0146.html:
>
> "This will allow expressions like HasOnlyOne Father"

Hmm... I'm not sure I like it.

In the presentation syntax I use, that would be:

	:father a ont:HasOnlyOne.

Kinda goofy.

In RDF/XML, it would be:

	<ont:HasOnlyOne rdf:about="#father"/>

Hmm... not too bad. I don't suppose I'd object, if it came to that.
i.e. I can live with that.

Other candidates I've heard of, in case anybody finds them
preferable...

	<ont:FunctionalProperty rdf:about="#father"/>
	<ont:ManyToOne rdf:about="#father"/>

By the way... is there a separate issue for UnambiguousProperty
being a bad name? What would be the analog of HasOnlyOne?

Analogs of the above two:

	<ont:FunctionalProperty rdf:about="#father"/>
	<ont:Injective rdf:about="#personalMailbox"/>

	(i.e. if ?x personalMailbox ?z
	and ?y personalMailbox ?z then ?x=?y)

	<ont:ManyToOne rdf:about="#father"/>
	<ont:OneToMany rdf:about="#personalMailbox"/>

I think I prefer ManyToOne and OneToMany.