Re: Antwort: Re: Fwd: logics of RDF

>"Peter F. Patel-Schneider" wrote:
>>
>>  Unfortunately, RDFS has precisely the class that prevents layering,
>>  rdfs:Class.  Modifying RDFS to a layered theory might help, but this would
>>  be a significant modification of RDFS, as much of the justification for
>>  RDFS is precisely that it has classes like rdfs:Class.
>
>I think your last sentence exactly points at the heart of at least
>one of our problems with RDF:
>
>"much of the justification for RDFS is precisely that it has classes
>like rdfs:Class."
>
>I wonder if that is really true.

No, I think this is nonsense. If you delete the last two words I
would agree with it.

>Yes, it is important for RDFS that we can form classes of classes
>(and this feature is actively), but it is really necessary that
>rdfs:Class is an instance of >*itself*< (ie breaking the layered
>theory?)

I don't think it is centrally important. However it is kind of cute,
and I don't think it in fact is a problem either semantically or
syntactically.

>I would suggest that most (if not: all) of the usage of rdfs:Class
>would still work within a layered theory.

Quite likely

>(This is certainly the case in our own tools and
>
>Question: would anyone care to confirm or deny that people do not rely on
>           rdfs:Class being member of itself
>          (in particular the RDF experts in this group)

Only to the extent that it answers what is otherwise a puzzling
question, viz. what IS rdfs:Class a member of? (Do you want to
suggest that RDF should have ramified types?)

>Question: is it really true that this would be all that much of a
>change to RDF?
>           Syntactically? (My guess is no)

It would complicate the statement of the syntax, as far as I can see
to no useful purpose.

>           Semantically?  (more so, but the model theory is still up for grabs)

It would have no effect on the model theory at all; the MT would be
word-for-word identical.

>I would suggest that getting RDFS to accept a layered theory would
>solve many of our problems with building OWL on top of RDFS.

I don't think so. I think it is completely irrelevant to those problems.

>Frank.
>    ----

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes