Re: Issue: Add hasValue to OWL Lite

On December 11, Jim Hendler writes:

> At 11:08 PM +0100 12/10/02, Frank van Harmelen wrote:
> >Deb,
> >
> >Thanks for your summary of the discussion and lay-out of the options:
> >
> >Deborah McGuinness wrote:
> >

> >>I see the following options emerging from the discussion surrounding adding
> >>hasValue to OWL Lite.
> >>This attempts to choose highlights from the email discussion with the
> >>subject OWL Lite semantics as well.
> >>
> >>1 - do not add any notion of hasValue to OWL Lite.
> >>[...]
> >>2 - add hasValue to OWL Lite with the semantics as specified in OWL DL.
> >>[...]
> >>3 - add hasValue to OWL Lite with a restricted semantics.  A restricted
> >>semantics was proposed by Jeremy.
> >
> >I also largely follow your trade-off of the options:
> >
> >3 is not feasible at this time (on top of which I support earlier
> >discussion this week which makes it clear that it's not even an
> >attractive option)
>
> I agree 3 is not feasible at this time (although I'm not sure I agree
> with the parenthetical given Pat's responses to Ian)
>

> >2 makes OWL Light so close to OWL DL that OWL Light would loose its
> >right to exist (remember that also Jeremy's proposal was aimed
> >making OWL Light lighter, while this option would make it
> >significantly heavier)
>
> <chair hat off!>
>
> I disagree with the above.  So far all I have seen is a bald
> assertion by Ian that hasvalue is hard to implement.

I object most strenuously to being accused of having said something so
patently stupid as "hasvalue is hard to implement". What I said was
that *adding hasValue to OWL Lite* would make the *resulting logic* much
harder to implement.

>  As I've made
> clear often in the WG, I don't care much about computational
> complexity - because at web scales the issue is a red herring in my
> opinion (nor do I see any proof that LITE is in a lower complexity
> class without hasvalue).

But you mention below having seen pointers to the literature that
demonstrates just this. I can also refer you back to the thread
beginning with [1] for one of the many occasions when we have covered
this before! It contains a pointer into the literature and a more
intuitive explanation that I gave in response to requests from the
WG.

>  Implementationally, every major KR system I
> know of has a hasvalue in some form, all my tools do, and I don't see
> it as particularly hard to implement.  In fact, in several of our
> databased-implementations (cf. Parka [1]) it is absolutely trivial to
> implement.

All this critically depends on our definition of "implement".

>   Perhaps more importantly, we've had several requests for hasvalue
> being included in Lite in our comments list

Then *tell them to use OWL DL*. As I have already pointed out, adding
hasValue to OWL Lite makes it more or less identical to OWL DL; and if
it is really so easy to implement, then it wont be a problem, will it.

Ian

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Jun/0094.html

- including from Protege,