From: www-voice-request@w3.org [mailto:www-voice-request@w3.org]On
Behalf Of Sulakshan Shetty
Sent: Saturday, March 18, 2006 7:09 PM
To: www-voice@w3.org
Subject: <record> tag behaviour

Hi,

I wanted to understand the behaviour of the <record> tag in a particular
situation we are facing in our application.

As per section 2.3.6.
<SNIP>
If no audio is collected during execution of <record>, then the record
variable remains unfilled (note). This can occur, for example, when DTMF or
speech input is received during prompt playback or before the timeout
interval expires. In particular, if no audio is collected before the user
terminates recording with DTMF input matching a local DTMF grammar (or when
the dtmfterm attribute is set to true), then the record variable is not
filled (so shadow variables are not set), and the FIA applies as normal
without a noinput event being thrown. However, information about the input
may be available in these situations via application.lastresult$ as
described in Section 5.1.5.
<SNIP>

We have a record tag in our application (something similar to the one below)
<record name="msg" beep="true" maxtime="15s" finalsilence="1000ms"
type="audio/wav">
  <prompt>
    Please record your message after the beep
  </prompt>

  <filled>
  <filled>

</record>

When the user calls in the prompt plays, if the user says nothing for a
couple of secs and presses the pound key, as per the spec, msg is not filled

and neither a noinput event is not thrown. The prompt plays again and the
user can do the same thing again and again.
And this can continue repeatedly with no end.

My question is whether this design was intentional? And if so what were the
driving factors ?
And would it be possible down the line to have something in place to prevent

this scenario.
Say either throw a noinput or have a maxattempts attribute in tag. Which
will try to
record only so many times.

Thank you very much.

:)