RE: Which "gateway" is best?

I agree. A number of "gateways" do tend to have a lot of "proprietory
features/extensions". It is partially attributed due to the fleixbility
in the VoiceXML 1.0 specification for grammar formats/audio formats.
VoiceXML 2.0 Draft does specify some of these particulars, specifically
the XML/BNF based unified grammar representation which should give a
closure around issues related with vendor specific grammars etc. Even
then, the standards are still being developed so you can still except
minor deviations till we have "VoiceXML 2.0" as an official "W3C
Recommendation".

Utilizing Pre-built components with your VoiceXML specification can
greatly effect your development/testing timeline, but it is important to
ensure that the platform extensions are "extending" the Spec rather than
modifying it.

While evaluating a gateway, I think you should look at some key
evaluation factors such as - VoiceXML 1.0/2.0 Compliance, Availability
on various platforms, Integration with Existing Call Center
Applications, integration with development and test tools to make you
decision.

Best Regards

Hitesh