Re: Problem with validating password-protected pages

Hello,

On 3-Aug-08, at 11:07 AM, H. Hahn wrote:
> While developing a website, I wanted to validate a certain page that
> is password-protected.

Did you use HTTP level password protection (the validator can proxy
that kind of authentication) or form-and-session-cookie? The latter,
obviously, the validator can not handle, and the best way to check
such pages is to use direct input or file upload.

> As I was logged in at a sufficiently high level, having access to
> all pages, I tacitly expected the validator to have the same rights
> as its invoker (i.e., me) had.

Fortunately, no.

> Only after I re-validated with displaying the complete source code,
> I found that it had not validated the requested page, but the "Page
> not found" page. Basically, this was correct, as the validator
> apparently was refused access to the page.

Not sure why the lack of authentication would return a "page not
found" page. That does not sound right.

> However, both the validator's address field and the validation
> result text mentioned the correct URL of the original page, without
> any mention of the "Page not found" page.

That's a problem with your system. The validator correctly displays
redirected URLs.
e.g see:
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2FConsortium%2FLegal%2Fipr-notice
and look at the Address: Field.