Re: Relaxed - new HTML validation service based on RELAX NG + Schematron

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> I agree that not calling it "the HTML validator" would help a lot--in
> particular by steering the discussion away from the topic of the accuracy of
> the title.

What's wrong with "an HTML checker" as a characterization? It is not a
rigorously defined term, and that's exactly why it is suitable.

Of course, it is also important to describe what it checks, but that need
not be part of the name, even the "extended name" that contains some
characterization.

Just don't say that it checks conformance to the HTML specification. That
would claim too much. It probably does not check all aspects, and the HTML
specifications themselves are too vague in their conformance requirements
to make it possible to decide objectively whether some checker actually
checks conformance.

It would probably be too much even to say that it checks the conformance
of the syntax, since I'm afraid there are some gray areas there, too.
Performing a check against a DTD, and a DTD only, is objectively defined.
There's much else that could and should be checked, but then you are in an
area where you generally should not claim to be completely objective.