Re: Relaxed - new HTML validation service based on RELAX NG + Schematron

* Henri Sivonen wrote:
>I suppose there is merit to asking "What does this look like?" and then
>asking immediately if it is valid according to the answer to the
>previous question if the validator tells the user what schema it is
>validating against is and the schema is still provided by the user or
>the validation service and the document cannot covertly inject rules of
>its own.

Every time you feed a application/xml or similar resource to an XML
processor you do exactly that. It's more a matter of determining the
rules that apply to a specific data object and checking for each
rule whether the data object meets it. In theory a very simple process
though in practise quite complicated, typically due to poor specs.

>> You would likely be able to use the Validator as a general purpose
>> RELAX NG Validator but it's unlikely you will be required to select
>> the schema for each validation. It's not just the authors who want
>> to check a document, it's also customers of web design companies
>> who want to check whether their produce proper code, and not all
>> customers are aware of all the technical details relevant here.
>
>So valid FooML is good enough if valid SVG 1.2 was ordered?

The main requirement here is that the Validator is very clear about
how to read the result for any request. Another requirement is that
the Validator should do what we want and what the users want. I am
not sure whether "is x y?" is actually a good question to ask the
Validator.