Re: Which DTD is better Transitional or Strict?

Terry Dean <Terry.Dean@chariot.net.au> wrote:
> But my question is specifically aimed at whether valid XHTML 1.0
> Transitional code is acceptable for accessibility standards or are you
> saying that unless you use XHTML 1.0 Strict! or HTML 4.01 Strict! that we
> should not be claiming conformance with regards to accessibility (here again
> I accept that validation alone is not the only requirement). The
> specifications appear to be ambiguous to me, the word Transitional implies
> that it is an interim solution designed for backwards compatibility or
> legacy browsers.

If you wish to claim compliance with the WAI Web Content Accessibility
Guidelines Priority 2 Checkpoints, you are unambiguously required to
comply with the requirements of the Strict DTDs - see Checkpoint 11.2
"Avoid deprecated features of W3C technologies".