Re: Which DTD is better Transitional or Strict?

Terry Dean wrote:
> Is XHTML 1.0 Transitional an acceptable DTD standard to use rather than
> XHTML 1.0 Strict! Especially if you are claiming to create totally
> accessible web sites?  I realise there is more to accessibility than getting
> the code correct but the W3C site says nothing about whether this DTD is
> acceptable or not.
>
> The Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 only say that you should:
>
> 3.2 Create documents that validate to published formal grammars.
>
> XHTML 1.0 Transitional is a published formal grammar, correct? So does that
> mean its ok and you can claim priority 2?

You'd need to refer to the WCAG guideline about avoiding deprecated
markup, which is also priority 2.  So you can *declare* a document as
"transitional", but if you *use* anything that's not valid as strict
then you're violating the guidelines.

--
Nick Kew