Re: validation in Opera

* Håkon Wium Lie wrote:
>In the case of 1), the validator will refuse to process the document
>and the retuned page has no options for revalidation (which it has when
>the URL is sent). I think this problem could be improved if there was
>a way for us to tell the validator "please look for a DOCTYPE in what
>we send you, if you can't find any use HTML 4.01 transitional".
>
>2) is slightly trickier. Most pages include this information in the
>HTTP header, but Opera does not pass this information along with the
>source. Is there a way for us to do so? One that would be overridden
>by the META tag, if found?

In addition to the override parameters, I proposed fallback parameters
in <http://www.w3.org/mid/3e8262e0.541263485@smtp.bjoern.hoehrmann.de>.
If these were implemented, they would do what you ask for. For (2)
however, since Opera knows the actual character encoding of the
document, why not pass it explictly and let the validator ignore the
meta element?