RE: Intranet Validator?

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Asbjørn Ulsberg wrote:

> Brennan.W.Stehling@jci.com wrote:
>
> > I am interested in running a validator on the local network
> > so that we can validate our intranet web applications.

There are several available, free, shareware and commercial.
For a small intranet you may be happy to validate page-by-page,
but on a bigger net you'll probably want a more automated
solution.  Of course, I'd recommend Site Valet for larger and/or
complex intranets.

> I'm interested in the same thing, and I've been in contact
> with Terje Bless about the problem,

(Terje is normally around on this list, but I think he may be on the
road just now).

>	 and he stated that they
> (or he) would develop a SOAP interface to the validator, so
> that one could post HTML (escaped and embedded in XML, of
> course) to the validator without using the hideous MIME multipart
> format and such, and also get the response in XML and not HTML.

The advantage of the MIME multipart format is that browsers support
it out-of-the-box.  It's not clear to me that your suggestion
(escaped and embedded in XML) is any less hideous.

> I haven't heard from Terje for some time now, so I have no
> idea how this development is going. I hope it's progressing,
> though. Anyone who knows anything on this subject?

Don't hold your breath.  It's not in the current beta update.
It's two years since I first offered a similar XML-based service
and published the XMLMessages update for OpenSP, but the W3C
validator still isn't using it.

--
Nick Kew