Re: w3.org Validity (was: Beta: Fatal Error: No DOCTYPE specified!)

"Dominique Hazaël-Massieux" wrote:

[snip]

> BTW, any non valid pages (be it DTD-valid or MIME-type valid [e.g.
> appendix C of xhtml1] is considered to be a bug on our web site and
> should be reported to the Webmaster [2].
>
> Dom
>
> 1. http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/09/Step-by-step
> 2. http://www.w3.org/Help/Webmaster

I'm afraid the challenge was too hard to ignore;
I simply followed the first link cited ("Step-by-step")
and asked it to self-validate : the response was
as follows

Philip Taylor, RHBNC

--------

Below are the results of checking this document for XML well-formedness and validity.

     Line 61, column 29:

       <h2 id="abstract">Abstract</a></h2>
                                    ^

     Error: end tag for element "a" which is not open; try removing the end tag or check for improper nesting of elements

     Line 70, column 25:

       <h2 id="status">Status</a></h2>
                                ^

     Error: end tag for element "a" which is not open; try removing the end tag or check for improper nesting of elements

     Line 89, column 3:

          ^

     Error: end tag for element "p" which is not open; try removing the end tag or check for improper nesting of elements

     Line 93, column 56:

       cost-effective development, ease of maintenance, etc.</p>
                                                               ^

     Error: end tag for element "p" which is not open; try removing the end tag or check for improper nesting of elements

     Line 254, column 31:

       ... day, or month (see the <a href=http://www.w3.org/QA/Tools/Lo ...
                                      ^

     Error: attribute values must be quoted in XML

     Line 254, column 35:

       ... y, or month (see the <a href=http://www.w3.org/QA/Tools/LogV ...
                                              ^

     Error: net-enabling start-tag not immediately followed by null end-tag

     Line 255, column 3:

       </a> to do this), and start again with other documents...</p>
          ^

     Error: end tag for element "a" which is not open; try removing the end tag or check for improper nesting of elements

Sorry, this document does not validate as XHTML 1.0 Strict.