From: "Parenti, Mark" <MParenti@Pirus.com>
To: <www-talk@w3.org>
Sent: 14 November 2001 10:59
Subject: Make browser recognize new page on return from POST

: I'm trying to figure out how to get a browser to update the page location
on
: return from a POST. In our case, the user submits some form information.
We
: then return a page that we wish to have the browser identify as a
different
: page from the one posted. This is because we have page-specific links on
the
: new page (a link to page-specfic help as one example). So we have the
: following situation:
:
: >From page1.html, the user does a POST (via a Submit button)
: The server returns page2.html
:
: The browser (both IE and Netscape) still identify the returned page as
: page1.html.
:
: I've tried various combinations of return status code (201 Created seemed
: like the best bet, but I also tried 301 and 307) and variations on the
: "Location:" and "Content-Location:" headers but have not been able to get
: this to work. Using a return code of 307 did get the browser (IE) to
change
: the name of the returned page to "page2.html", but it then appeared to try
: to redirect to the new page. I don't want it to do that, only to update
it's
: "name" for the page.
:
: Any help?
:
: Mark
:
:
: Mark Parenti
: Member of Technical Staff
:
: Pirus Networks, 43 Nagog Park Acton, MA, 01720
: e-mail: mparenti@pirus.com. tel: (978) 206-9161
:
: