An alternate perspective... (was RE: What is at the end of the n amespace?)

Thank you, David, for saying so well what I've only been
able to seemingly mumble poorly.

Spot on! An HTTP URL is intimately tied to the HTTP protocol.
An HTTP URL should not have interpretation that is not
meaningful within the scope of the purpose and functionality
of the HTTP protocol. It is not logical to define an HTTP
URL for something which an HTTP deamon cannot provide
access to within the bounds of the HTTP protocol.

And it is the (IMO unreasonable) presumption that HTTP URLs
can identify *anything* whatsoever that is at the root of all
of the confusion about dereferencing of namespaces, the
relationship between ontological terms and explicit schemas,
the (mis)use of URLs as URNs, etc.

--

Perhaps the following will offer a useful alternate perspective
on the matter:

I've been thinking about URIs alot lately in terms of agents
(human, organization, or software) which are involved in the
definition of URI schemes, the minting of URIs, and the
interpretation/application of URIs, and have see that a
key difference between HTTP (and other) URLs and URNs is
that (in addition to the name vs. location issue) URLs denote
both the agency which mints the URI (implicitly, the authority
owning the web domain) and the agency which must interpret the
URI (the server which is located at the specified domain name).
URNs on the other hand only denote (implicitly) the agent
minting the URI (which is the owner of the URN scheme or
namespace).

   For the HTTP URL "http://xyz.foo.com/bar", the defining
   agent is the "owner" of the 'http:' URI scheme, the minting
   agent is the "owner" of the subdomain 'xyz.foo.com' and
   the interpreting agent is the machine residing at the
   subdomain 'xyz.foo.com'.

   For the URN "urn:foo:bar", both the defining agent and the
   minting agent is the owner of the namespace 'urn:foo'.

I've identified a third class of URIs, which I call URPs
(Uniform Fesource Primitives) c.f.
http://www-nrc.nokia.com/sw/X_Values_URI.pdf which differ from
both URLs and URNs in that they denote neither the agency
which mints the URI nor the agency which interprets the URI,
but only the agency which defines the URP scheme.

   For the URP 'xsd:integer:10', the defining agent is the
   owner of the URP scheme 'xsd:'. No minting or interpreting
   agents are denoted in the URI itself.

This gives us the following matrix, showing where agents
are denoted (either implicitly or explicitly) in the URI itself:

                      URL   URN   URP
                     ------------------
    Definition         X     X     X
    Minting            X     X
    Interpretation     X

Thus, from the perspective of the indentity of the agencies
involved, we can see how these three classes of URI differ
in a manner that is quite clear, and also which is significant
to web architecture in general, yet not based at all on the
notions of name, location, or nature of the resource itself.

Thus, rather than saying that URNs differ from URLs because
they define only a name, rather than a location. One can say
that URNs differ from URLs because the agency which is intended
to interpret the URI is not identified in terms of the URI itself,
whereas for a URL, the agency of interpretation is identified in
the URI itself.

Thus, the "fuzzy" notions of name, location, resource, etc.
can be left out of the "argument", per se, and the focus put
on more real nuts-n-bolts issues relating to how different classes
of URIs are defined, created, and used and to what extent the
agencies participating in the lifespan of the URI are identified
by the URI itself.

Eh?

Cheers,

Patrick