Re: What is at the end of the namespace?

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> > Phrases like 'network resources' and 'the identified resource is located
> > at the server listening for TCP connections' certainly don't convey to me
> > the idea that the http URI can be used to denote 'anything that has
> > identity'.
> >
> > FWIW, I would really like to see your intended meaning clarified (in
> > writing) somewhere - perhaps in http://www.w3.org/TR/uri-clarification/ ?
>
> ... stuff deleted ...
>
> My only concern is that the
> people creating these new schemes always start out by stating something
> which is patently false about the existing ones, and use that false
> statement as their justification for creating extra work for others.

Perhaps the reason why 'people creating these new schemes always start out
by stating something which is patently false about the existing ones' is
because the current documentation is unclear?  In fact, it is worse than
unclear - to my mind, the documentation for the http URI scheme clearly
means something that you didn't intend it to mean! :-(

That is why I suggest that your intended meaning for the http URI scheme
is clarified in writing somewhere.  The W3C URI clarification document
seems like an ideal place to do that?

Andy
--
Distributed Systems and Services