Re: caching dilemma

From: Lou Montulli <montulli@strumpet.mcom.com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 1995 23:38:42 -0700
To: nazgul@utopia.com, Multiple recipients of list <www-talk@www10.w3.org>
On May 31, 10:28pm, Kee Hinckley wrote:
> Subject: Re: caching dilemma
> At 4:53 PM 5/31/95, Koen Holtman wrote:
> >You mean to say that the Netscape _browser_ disables its internal
> >cacheing when receiving a pragma: no-cache in a form _response_??  That
> >would be strange but wonderful, as the draft http spec defines this
> >pragma to be an optional part of a client _request_ message.
>
> That is the case. I confess that I don't know how I discovered it, but it
> definitely turns off history caching in Netscape. Set it on a form, for
> instance, and you don't have to worry about the user resubmitting it - if
> they go back to it, it's been reloaded.

Sorry, it's just coincedence.  Netscape doesn't parse any Pragma:
headers.  It does honor expires though.  It will also do special
reloads if you send a document without a "Last-modified:" header.

:lou

--
Lou Montulli                 http://www.mcom.com/people/montulli/
       Netscape Communications Corp.