Re: your mail

From: Alvin Starr <alvin@eyepoint.com>
Date: Mon, 8 May 1995 21:31:37 -0400
To: uunorth!www10.w3.org!www-talk
> Could anyone describe the pros and cons of various systems (operating
> system, hardware/software, connections, etc.) for setting up a Web Server
> for home or office.
>
> Is a mac better than windows NT or Sparcstation?  For the office we have
> direct access to the internet and we have one Sparcstation 20 and one Sparc
> 5.  We may or may not be able to use those for internet apps.  Should be
> purchase another Sparc or buy a mac...windows NT?
>
> For the home what would be best?

If you are not going to make heavy use of the web server it may be a good
idea to use Linux on a 386 clone PC. The price for linux is right, about
$20-$50 for a CD. The performance is acceptable, Linux will run quite happly
on an 8M system.

If you have a reason to want to minimize your support issues then it may be
worth your while to go with a sparc solution since you allready have 2.

Windows NT will work but the cost/performace of NT is about 1/2 of that
of linux. Also the off the shelf software for NT is nowhere as complete as
that available for Linux/Solaris.

I have installed Internet services on the 3 above OS's and am baseing my
comments on experiance.

Mac I have no idea about

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (905)513-6717
Eyepoint Inc.                 ||   fax:   (905)513-6718