Re: your mail

On Thu, 4 May 1995 www-talk@www10.w3.org wrote:

> I am new to this mailing list and am not sure if this
> has been discussed. But here it goes.
>     Is it possible to have 2 different names resolve to
>     the same server but point to two different home pages.
>      For example : x.y.z should point to page 1 in my sun and
>                    address http://a.b.c should point to page 2
>                    in my sun.
> If yes, how do I do that. We use DNS and I can setup CNAME aliases
> for my sun so that x.y.z and a.b.c both point to my sun platform.
> How do I make httpd to resolve these different names and serve
> the proper home page.
> If this is not possible if there a workaround.
> Thanks a lot in advance.
>
> - Ramani Iyer

	That's not how it works. You have to run two different httpd's (with
different root areas, of course). They would run on diff ports, say one
on 80 (default) and the other on 2000. URL for the first is

http://xyz.com/

and that for the second

http://xyz.com:2000/
or http://abcd.com:2000/

assuming that abcd.com is the DNS equivalent of xyz.com, and is a more
logical name for the second server.

The port number has to be there. Am I missing a point?

-- Rupesh