Re: Forced Resignation

From: Eric J. Bowman <eric@bisonsystems.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 03:26:30 -0600
To: Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>
Cc: "www-tag@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>, Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>
Alex Russell wrote:

> Surely we can't take arguments of the form "X hasn't happened, our
> preventative measures against X work!" seriously without *at least*
> weighing the counterfactual.

Those promulgating a view that "X hasn't happened" *despite* said
preventative measures, are the ones failing to weigh the counter-
factual.

> To do otherwise would invite superstition and error.

Nice argument both ways. ;-)

> Do you *have reason* to think the TAG policy effective and/or net
> good? On what evidence?

What evidence do YOU have that it's an ineffective policy, other than
your personal bias as a TAG member affected by it? On whom does the
burden of proof lie? IMO, it's on those who would tear down a barrier
to corporate capture of the Internet.

But what evidence do YOU offer that the Web's better off being designed
by browser vendors who reject just about everything Jon Postel ever
taught us about proper network design, despite all experience showing he
was right?

-Eric